Network Cabling Specialist 631A (NCS) Apprenticeship Overview
- Initially there is a 2000-hour Pre-apprenticeship that individuals will work as Cable Installers.
- The duration of apprenticeship is 4600 hours and takes approximately three (3) years to complete
- 90% of training is done on-the-job while under the supervision of a Journeyperson Technician
- 10% of learning is done through attending two (2) levels of Trade School – Basic (10 weeks) & Advanced (10 weeks)
- The program also requires attendance to mandatory Safety and Supplementary Training Classes (STC) on some evenings and Saturdays.
- Apprentices work for a member company of the Greater Toronto Electrical Contractors Association (Greater Toronto ECA)
- Apprentices are dispatched by the IBEW Local Union 353 (IBEW LU 353)
- The geographical area covered is from Lake Ontario north to Parry Sound, and from Trenton in the east to Oakville in the west. An employer could send an apprentice to a jobsite anywhere within this area. Apprentices are required to provide their own transportation to the jobsite. Most work days begin at 7 a.m.
To view the training standards for a Network Cabling Specialist 631A, click here:
Network Cabling Specialist 631A Training Standards
NETWORK CABLING SPECIALIST PAMPHLET